For those of you who have children in Dubai, we’ve previously discussed about how to register your child’s birth in the emirate as well as how to report this to the Philippine Consulate. In this article, however, we will talk about how to prepare for your child’s baptism in Dubai.
One of the churches where you can have your child baptized in Dubai is St. Mary’s Catholic Church. According to their website, they hold baptism for infants every Thursday and Saturday (except during Holy Week). Keep on reading to know the requirements and procedure!
Guide to Preparing for Your Child’s Baptism in Dubai
As part of the preparation for your child’s baptism, you will need to gather the following documents:
- Copy of the Birth Certificate of the Child
- Copy of the Church Marriage Certificate of the Parents
- Copies of the Confirmation Certificates of the Godparents
Prior registration is not necessary for the baptism itself. However, the parents and godparents of the child are required to attend a seminar beforehand. Here are the steps that you will undertake:
#1 – Baptism Preparation Seminar
The Baptism Preparation Seminar is held every second Friday of the month, from 8:30 am to 10:00 am. The Parents and Godparents (one Godmother and one Godfather) must be in attendance. On the other hand, the child who will be baptized does not need to be present.
During the seminar, you will be given a book, “Preparing for Your Child’s Baptism,” and a baptism application form. Don’t forget to bring this form on the day of your child’s baptism, as they will check the date when you attended the seminar.
NOTE: You don’t need to register in advance when attending the seminar, but if you prefer to do so, you can register for the seminar online.
#2 – Day of Baptism
The church holds baptism for infants every Thursday at 4:00 pm and Saturday at 1:00 pm (except during Holy Week). Like the preparation seminar, you do not need to register in advance. Still, it is best to call first to make sure that they are conducting a baptism on your preferred date. We also suggest that you arrive at least 30 minutes before the ceremony, so that you can complete the registration and choose good seats.
As for your child’s attire, you may opt to dress him or her in white clothes. The church provides one candle per family, but you may also bring additional candles for the Godparents.
NOTE: After the ceremony ends, make sure that you get your child’s Certificate of Baptism.
- Before attending the Baptism Preparation Seminar, the Parents and Godparents must be registered first as parishioners of Saint Mary’s Catholic Church. Otherwise, the head of the family should register as a parishioner and primary contact person first. Once he receives his Parish ID number, the rest of the family members can register under the same ID number.
- If you are not yet married, St. Mary’s Catholic Church will still baptize your child, on one condition – you agree before the priest to get married as soon as possible — in church or during their Mass Wedding ceremony. In addition to this, check out our guide to getting married in Dubai.
DISCLAIMER: The above requirements and procedure could change without prior notice. For the latest information about preparing for your child’s baptism, visit the Saint Mary’s Catholic Church website.
Filipino Blogger Experience:
Check out this post from fellow Pinay blogger in Dubai who had her child baptized: Preparing for your child’s Baptism in Dubai | Cuddles and Crumbs