As somebody who is new to Dubai, the Gold Souk in Deira is a famous tourist spot where you can find plenty of shops selling gold and other jewelry. It is one of the most sought after tourist attractions, leaving visitors in awe at the countless amount of gold being offered along its alleys.
Whether you are thinking about buying gold or not, this place is a great way for you to discover what Dubai has to offer. The Gold Souk is located at the heart of Deira, just along Al Ras Metro Station (green line). You can get guidance from your hotel lobby for directions. It is open from Saturday to Thursday from 10am to 10pm, and on Fridays from 4pm to 10pm.
gold rings, earrings, bracelets, etc.
Things to Know Before Buying Gold in Dubai
Dubai offers one of the cheapest value in gold (currently Dubai does not issue any taxes). In case you’re purchasing gold at the Deira gold market, here are some tips and and important pointers.
- The value of gold fluctuates every day. Just like in the stock market. Do your research and look up the price of gold before deciding to buy one. Hotels usually have the prices of gold flashed at the concierge so be sure to check that out.
- Decide on how much Gold Karat. you should decide how much Karat you want. A 24 Karat gold has 100% pure gold. The higher the Karat, the purer the gold, the more expensive it is. There’s also a 22K and 18K. Gold also comes in different colors depending on what type of other metals it is being mixed with.
- Gold is Real in Dubai. It is a fair concern for most eager buyers to worry about the authenticity of the gold, but fret not because the government ensures that the standards and regulations are met to secure that only real gold is being sold. Still, make sure that you buy from authorized sellers (those with shops).
- Shop Around, Take Time and Haggle. Most of the vendors can speak English and can assist you in finding what you need. There are over 300 retailers so you can shop around and scout for the best price being offered for the gold piece that interests you. Since gold is typically sold by karat and weight, it is usually the craftsmanship that you are haggling for. Most tourists find that you can haggle up to 30% of the actual price.
- Use Cash to Bargain Some More. Most of the sellers accept both cash and credit cards. If you are not one to walk around with tons of cash, then use your card accordingly. However, you can usually get a better bargain when you pay in cash.
The City of Gold
Dubai City of Gold
It is estimated that about 10 tons of gold are presented at the narrow stretch of the golden city with over 300 retailers, offering travelers anything and everything in gold for sale. For those who don’t want to buy, you can still visit this famous tourist area and take photos.
bracelets, all shapes and sizes – this is a famous spot for tourists to take photos
hand-made gold in the souk
How to Get to the Deira Gold Souk by Public Transport
- To get to the gold souk, you can ride the metro train and stop at the Al Rais metro station (green line).
- Walk to the Exit and the gold souk is just within walking distance. You can simply ask people around where the gold souk is and they will gladly point you to the right direction.
Note: The Gold Souq is also near the Spice Souq.
Here are some other photos of the gold displayed in this Gold Souq:
bangles with stones
viewing the gold in Dubai.
Below is a Google map location of the Gold Souq. Please be guided.