Being the third-largest emirate in the UAE, Sharjah offers plenty of things to do for travellers. You can visit the historic Al Hisn Fort, ride the Eye of the Emirates, catch a cricket match at Sharjah Stadium, and stand in the rain without getting wet. Wait… what?!
The Rain Room is an “immersive installation” by Random International, a London-based studio for experimental art. It opened in May 2018 as part of the Sharjah Art Foundation Collection — the first of a series of permanent spaces designed by artists.
Walk Through the Rain… Without Getting Wet
The Sharjah Art Foundation was established in 2009 to “support the flourishing arts environment in the Gulf,” according to its website. Aside from providing artistic opportunities, it also promotes collaboration and exchange among regional as well as international programmes.
And now, for the first time in the Middle East, the foundation presents Rain Room by Random International. Previously, this installation has been featured in the Barbican, London (2012); MoMA, New York (2013); Yuz Museum, Shanghai (2015); and LACMA, Los Angeles (2015-2017).
How Does it Work?
As the name suggests, the Rain Room invites visitors to walk though the rain without getting wet. But how exactly does it work? Here’s a brief explanation:
- The installation uses 2,500 litres of self-cleaning, recycled water.
- The water is controlled by a computerised system that includes 3D tracking cameras.
- The cameras have motion sensors that detect a person’s movements as he/she walks through the space.
- The sensors trigger water nozzles, which produce a six-foot radius of “rain” around the person.
As visitors walk through the rain, they become part of the Rain Room — a watery installation that combines immersive art, technological genius, and the beauty of nature!
Schedule and Ticket Information
The Rain Room at Sharjah Art Foundation is open during these days and hours:
- Saturday to Thursday — 9am to 9pm
- Friday — 4pm to 11pm
Meanwhile, tickets can be bought on-site or online at these prices:
- Adults — AED 25 each
- Students — AED 15 each (up to 22 years old; ID required)
- Teachers — AED 15 each (ID required)
- Children — Free admission (up to 5 years old)
- People of Determination, w/ one companion — Free admission
How to Get There
Sharjah Art Foundation’s Rain Room is permanently installed in Al Majarrah, Sharjah. Here is a Google Map location of the venue:
For more information about the Rain Room, you may contact +971 6 561 0095, send an email to email@example.com, or visit the Sharjah Art Foundation official website.
If you’ve always dreamed of doing a “Singin’ in the Rain” performance, consider paying a visit to the Rain Room! The great thing about it is that you don’t have to bring extra clothes; plus, it’ll be a one-of-a-kind experience! In the meantime, check out these other places to visit in Sharjah!