Following the news on Thursday (February 27) that two UAE Tour participants have tested positive for coronavirus, the Abu Dhabi Department of Health announced that it has taken all necessary preventive measures, in cooperation with the Ministry of Health and Prevention and the relevant authorities, to ensure the safety and health of guests of two hotels in Abu Dhabi, who have been in contact with two Italian participants who tested positive for the novel coronavirus, known as COVID-19.
The said announcement was made following the cancellation of the UAE Tour on Thursday.
Abu Dhabi Dept of Health Enforces Quarantine Measures in Two Hotels to Contain Coronavirus Threat
According to health department officials, they have taken quarantine measures for those who were in contact with the two Italian teams in the two hotels located on Yas Island.
The Department of Health also imposed home quarantine for others until the completion of the screening and examination following the medical procedures observed.
As per the Abu Dhabi Health Department, the two Italian team members are currently receiving proper medication and are being closely monitored.
It added that, in cooperation with the concerned authorities, it is making all possible efforts to combat the spread of the virus and taking all necessary measures and preparations.
Meanwhile, concerned authorities in Abu Dhabi have also taken all necessary preventive measures to counter the spread of the virus, including installing thermal detectors in the air, sea and land ports along with qualified medical teams around the clock, and providing necessary medical equipment for laboratory tests.
Earlier on Thursday, the Abu Dhabi Sports Council has canceled the remaining rounds of the 2020 UAE Tour after two cases tested positive for coronavirus.
“The decision has been taken to ensure the protection of all the Race’s participants,” the Council noted, adding that “safety comes at the top of all priorities.”
In the meantime, the Ministry of Health and Prevention said that all the Race’s participants, administrative staff and organizers will be examined through the continuous periodic screening being conducted, and all needed procedures, including quarantine measures, will be taken to ensure viral suppression and curb the spread of its outbreak in coordination with all health and other authorities concerned in the country.
Furthermore, the ministry reported that all the necessary precautions to ensure highly efficient preventive measures are being taken, including check-ups and observation of people in contact with patients, to guarantee the protection of the society and its safety and preserve public trust.
On the same day, six new cases of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) have been confirmed in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), bringing the total number of people diagnosed with the disease in the country to 19.
As per the Ministry of Health and Prevention, the newly infected persons came from Iran before the suspension of flights from the country.
The ministry also noted that the infected persons are of different nationalities, including four Iranians, one Bahraini and one Chinese.
It also announced the recovery of two coronavirus patients, bringing the number of recovered to five, all of who are Chinese nationals.