The remaining stages of the UAE Tour cycling race has been cancelled after two coronavirus cases have been confirmed. According to a post from the official Twitter page of the UAE Tour organisers (@UAE_Tour), the Abu Dhabi Sport Council cancelled the race after 2 Italian staff members of one of the teams had tested positive for the COVID-19.
In the same post, it mentions that the Ministry of Health and Prevention that all participants and organisers of the race will be thoroughly examined and will be continuously screened.
The UAE Tour is the dubbed as the one and only world tour race in the Middle East
So far, there has been 19 confirmed cases in the UAE, where 5 have fully recovered. This is not yet including the 2 Italians from the cycling race. Please stay tuned for updates.
Below is the said statement from @UAE_Tour
Below is the full statement from the @UAETour official Twitter account:
ANNOUNCEMENT: UAE TOUR REMAINING STAGES CANCELLED pic.twitter.com/kHGbvXq2w4
— UAE Tour Official (@uae_tour) February 27, 2020
2020 UAE Tour’s remaining stages cancelled after two coronavirus cases confirmed
The Higher Organising Committee has cancelled the remaining stages of the 2020 UAE Tour after two Italian staff members of one of the teams participating in the UAE Tour had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, known as COVID-19.
“The decision has been taken to ensure protection of all the Race’s participants,” said the Higher Organising Committee, adding that “safety comes at the top of all priorities.”
In the meantime, the Ministry of Health and Prevention said that all the Race’s participants, administrative staff and organisers will be examined through the continuous periodic screening being conducted, and all needed procedures, including quarantine measures, will be taken to ensure viral suppression and curb the spread of its outbreak in coordination with all health and other authorities concerned in the country.
The ministry added that all the necessary precautions to ensure highly efficient preventive measure are being taken, including check-ups and observation of people in contact with patients, to guarantee the protection of the society and its safety and preserve public trust.
Updates about COVID-19 in the UAE:
- UAE Confirms First Case of New Coronavirus
- UAE Warns against Rumours about Coronavirus in the UAE
- 4 members of Chinese family infected with new coronavirus in UAE
- UAE Ministry of Health & Prevention: “General Health Situation is not a Cause of Concern”
- 2019-nCoV Coronavirus Declared as a Global Health Emergency
- UAE Announces 5th Case of Coronavirus Infection
- PLEASE READ: UAE Health Ministry Guidelines on Coronavirus 2019-nCoV
- Burj Khalifa Lights up and Shows Support for Wuhan China
- UAE Suspends Flights to China (Except Beijing)
- 2 New Cases of Coronavirus Announced in UAE
- Philippine Embassy in UAE to Assist UAE Authorities with Filipino Infected with Coronavirus
- UAE’s First Case of 2019-nCoV Coronavirus Recovers
- 8th Case of New Coronavirus Confirmed in UAE
- UAE Coronavirus Cases to be Treated FREE of Cost Even Without Insurance
- COVID-19 is the official name of the new coronavirus – WHO
- UAE Announces 9th Coronavirus Case (COVID-19)
- UAE announces two new cases of COVID-19, 1 Filipino and 1 Bangladeshi
- UAE Issues Travel Ban to Iran and Thailand due to COVID-19 Outbreak
- 2 new cases of COVID-19 in UAE, Iranian in ICU and his wife