For today’s, expat feature, we interviewed Jen, a Global CX Specialist for a beauty and wellness reservation software in Dubai. She grew up in the UK, and holds a degree in Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science from Queen’s University.
Aside from work, Jen likes to keep herself busy reading books, writing articles, learning new skills, and doing yoga. She also enjoys participating in beauty pageants; in fact, she had previously won the title of Miss Earth Belfast in Northern Ireland!
Amid the ongoing coronavirus crisis, Jen shares that she is able to work from home. She also urges everyone to stay indoors as much as possible, and to act responsibly when going out. Despite the situation, she remains positive that we will overcome this crisis.
Indeed, everyone of us should have a positive outlook, and it is always refreshing to see young people like Jen — intelligent, hopeful, and responsible — looking forward to a bright future. Let us learn more about her unique story in the following expat feature!
- Expat Feature: Jen, Global CX Specialist in Dubai
- 1. Tell us about yourself.
- 2. Why did you come to Dubai?
- 3. What were your previous jobs?
- 4. How do you find your current job? Are you happy/satisfied with it?
- 5. Are you able to save in Dubai? Why/How?
- 6. Is it difficult to live in Dubai? What are/were your struggles? What’s life like outside work?
- 7. What do you like about Dubai?
- 8. What do you NOT Like about Dubai?
- 9. What are your plans in your career/family/future?
- 10. You have any tips for others when working/finding work/living in Dubai?
- 11. Care to share any insights on how you are overcoming the current crisis? How about current work situation amid the crisis?
Expat Feature: Jen, Global CX Specialist in Dubai
Age: 28 years old
Current Profession: Global CX Specialist
College Degree: Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science
Years in Dubai: 3 years
1. Tell us about yourself.
Hello, I’m Jen! I grew up in the UK and graduated from the Queen’s University with a Bachelors’s degree in Computer Science. Being the youngest student in my class, I always got teased for being too smart. I’ve spent the last 3 years working as a Global CX Specialist for a beauty and wellness reservation software in Dubai. I also enjoy participating in beauty pageants, and I’ve previously won the title of Miss Earth Belfast in Northern Ireland!
2. Why did you come to Dubai?
I don’t mean to sound like a typical Brit but honestly, I just needed a bit of sunshine!
3. What were your previous jobs?
Previously, I worked as a Service Operations Analyst for New York Stock Exchange and as an Intern for Bombardier Commercial Aircraft.
4. How do you find your current job? Are you happy/satisfied with it?
Once I moved to Dubai, it took me a couple of months to find the right role for me. I turned down quite a few offers in the beginning as I didn’t see a well-defined career advancement plan there. My current role fits with my career goals, and I do love having flexibility in my schedule.
5. Are you able to save in Dubai? Why/How?
Good question! Dubai is not known to be budget-friendly, so you do have to learn to be wise with your savings. It’s more of a challenge for a compulsive shopper like me who also loves take-outs! I’d recommend tracking your expenses, so you have a fair idea of your income outflows and this makes it easier to decide where to save.
6. Is it difficult to live in Dubai? What are/were your struggles? What’s life like outside work?
I wouldn’t say it’s difficult, on the contrary – it’s a great place and really easy to adjust living here. Moving to a new place can be overwhelming for most people, but you just have to give yourself the much-needed time to get settled.
7. What do you like about Dubai?
There’s an abundance of outdoor activities to enjoy all year around here. Dubai is also as cosmopolitan as it gets, and I love making friends from different cultures!
8. What do you NOT Like about Dubai?
Cloud seeding! I’m one of those rare people who does not enjoy rain.
9. What are your plans in your career/family/future?
I’m always learning and evolving. Devoting a few hours every week to online courses and reading books helps me hone and develop new skills. I’d also like to invest in an MBA degree to advance my career in the long-term.
10. You have any tips for others when working/finding work/living in Dubai?
It’s best to take your time and find out what you want to do, then do a bit of research on the job market and expand your network. Be proactive in your approach and remember to keep your resume concise.
Life during a pandemic feels so surreal, I don’t think any of us would have pictured ourselves in this situation! It’s definitely a sad and anxious time for everyone across the globe. Currently, I’m working from home but in my spare time, I like keeping myself busy with online yoga classes, reading books, writing articles, and learning new skills.
I can’t emphasize enough on how important it is to stay indoors as much as we can, and act responsibly when we head out. With a bit of cooperation, I’m super-positive that we are all fully capable of overcoming this crisis.
Connect with Jen on Instagram
To know more about Jen, you may get in touch with her through her Instagram handle, @pearl_jl.
*Photos provided by Jen
Are you an expat in Dubai? Do you want to be featured in the website? Send us an email telling us you want to be featured at admin@dubaiOFW.com and we will send you the set of questions! Let’s help other people who want to come to Dubai understand what life in the UAE is like through your story.