Earlier on December 4, a fire broke out in a hotel staff accommodation in Al Qouz 4 (opposite Springdales School).
According to sources, the fire broke out at around 3:30 am in a storeroom at the Roda hotel staff accommodation and gradually engulfed the entire building in black smoke.
[VIDEO] Fire Breaks Out at Staff House in Dubai
The workers were apparently enjoying the long holiday break and had organized a small get-together in the area where someone reportedly left a burning cigarette butt that is said to have started the fire, as shared in a report by the Khaleej Times.
— Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) December 4, 2019
According to first-responders, the area was loaded with stored furniture and inflammable items, the fire soon spread to other rooms as well.
Recognizing the situation, the security soon evacuated the staff and informed the civil defense and police who have cordoned off the area and immediately proceeded to contain the fire.
As of this writing, the police have not yet released a statement confirming the exact cause of the fire.
However, initial reports about the fire breaking out in Springdales School were incorrect.
Meanwhile, school authorities said the school was unaffected by the fire and things were normal.
The last time a massive fire broke out in the Al Quoz area was in April of this year.
According to the first expert Ahmed Mohammed Ahmed, head of the Criminal and Mechanical Engineering Department at the General Directorate of Criminal Evidence and Criminology of the Dubai Police, they have investigated a total of 655 fire incidents since the beginning of 2019, including 28 premeditated incidents, compared to 726 during the same period in 2018.
Ahmed added that fourteen of the incidents were committed deliberately.
Fortunately, nobody was reported to be hurt at the incident last December 4.
Here are some safety tips to remember in case of fire as shared in the UAE government’s official portal:
- Call civil defense on 997 (from anywhere in the UAE).
- Evacuate the premise immediately. All public buildings are marked with fire exits.
- Walk towards the exit calmly without rushing.
- Do not stay behind or return at the site of the fire to collect belongings.
- If possible, close the doors as you leave to avoid the fire from spreading further.
- Do not use lifts in case of a fire.
- If you can, try putting off the fire with the help of extinguishers without risking your life.
- Do not return to the building until declared safe by the police or civil defense.
It’s almost the end of the year, and let’s hope that none of these incidents will take place anymore if we all can help it.
ALSO READ: How to Report an Emergency in Dubai