In line with the Philippine government’s initiative to assist OFWs whose jobs have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) announced on Friday that it is now accepting applications for the one-time cash assistance worth PHP 10,000 (AED 730) through the DOLE-AKAP program.
In an advisory shared by Consul General Paul Raymund Cortes through his official Facebook account, the POLO-Dubai will observe the guidelines outlined by the Philippines’ labor department for the eligibility and process of distributing the cash aid to OFWs.
POLO-Dubai Rolls Out DOLE-AKAP Program 200 USD Cash Assistance for OFWs
In this post, we will share the steps and application guidelines for OFWs who qualify for the DOLE-AKAP program:
First, let us take a look at the eligibility criteria for the program.
The one-time cash assistance program covers both regular documented and qualified undocumented OFWs affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
According to the 2016 Revised POEA Rules and Regulations, qualified regular documented OFWs are:
- Those who possess valid passports and appropriate visas or permits to stay and work in the receiving country; and
- Those whose contracts of employment have been processed by the POEA or POLO.
Meanwhile, those who are considered as qualified undocumented workers are:
- Those who were originally regular or documented workers but for some reason or cause have lost their regular or documented status;
- Those who are not registered with the POEA or whose contracts of employment were not processed by the POEA or POLO, but have undertaken actions to regularize their status; OR
- Those who are not registered with the POEA or whose contracts of employment were not processed by the POEA or POLO, but are active OWWA members at the time of availing.
The program also applies to those who have experienced job displacement due to the receiving country’s imposition of lockdown or quarantine, or because of having infected by the coronavirus.
And lastly, cash assistance can only be extended to those who have not received any financial support or assistance from receiving countries or employers.
How do Qualified OFWs Apply for the Cash Assistance?
The following procedures apply for on-site OFWs with visa in Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, and Umm Al Quwain:
1. Download the special cash assistance form provided by the POLO-Dubai on their website.
2. Fill out the form completely and submit it along with the following requirements through this link.
- A copy of your valid passport with an employment visa.
- Any proof of employment (e.g. verified employment contract, OEC, valid OWWA membership, etc.)
- Proof of loss of employment due to the coronavirus pandemic (e.g. (termination letter or notice of termination due to COVID-19, etc.)
- For OFWs who became undocumented for reasons that are not their fault, proof that the OFW is involved in a case (i.e. case reference number or case endorsement stamped by POLO, among others)
3. After submitting the above-listed requirements, the POLO shall evaluate the application and shall notify the worker through email if their application was approved or disapproved.
4. And finally, once the application has been approved, the POLO will release to the approved OFW the AED 730.00 cash assistance through bank transfer or money remittance.
The evaluation of the application will be within five (5) working days, and communication will only take place via e-mail.
A workflow diagram has also been provided by POLO-Dubai via their official website for easy reference.