Reaching job success in Dubai is no easy task. It takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and perseverance. But once you reach the top, it is important to stay grounded and humble.
While this may not apply to all expats, many have come here with barely anything and struggled especially in the first few years. That’s why it’s crucial to remember how we felt back then when we see others go through the same thing. It’s also good to keep our feet on the ground because it will make us better leaders and role models for others.
If we become too self-centered or think that we are better than others just because we have “made it” in Dubai, then we are not setting a good example. We need to remember that no one is perfect and that everyone makes mistakes. We all have to learn and grow from our experiences, both good and bad.
What does staying grounded mean?
To stay grounded, or “centered,” means to keep yourself balanced and level-headed. It’s about staying present in the moment and not letting yourself get too caught up in external distractions or material things.
It means that you remain humble and grateful for what you have, even when things are going well. It’s about not letting your success go to your head and remember that there is always room for improvement.
Staying grounded also means being aware of your own limitations and understanding that you’re not perfect. It’s important to have realistic expectations for yourself and to accept that you will make mistakes.
It means you do NOT put other people down, laugh at their stories and situation, or think you are better than them. Instead, you try to see the best in others and build them up.
Dubai Can Change You
Dubai can change you. Or maybe a better phrase would be that YOU might change in Dubai.
It’s a city full of opportunity, luxury, and excess. It can be easy to get caught up in materialism and forget your humble beginnings.
“They say money can’t buy happiness… Habibi come to Dubai.” – this is a very popular Dubai meme and we may tend to see this post often on social media.
But it’s important to remember where you came from and how you got here.
It’s easy to get caught up with the trend of bragging and lost sight that we may have started living in a bunk bed in a shared accommodation with strangers. We should never forget where we came from or how we got here.
If you’ve come from a place of little opportunity and made something of yourself in Dubai, then you’re one of the lucky ones. You should be very proud of your accomplishments but please don’t forget where you came from.
Dubai can change you, but don’t let it change who you are.
Reasons Why it MIGHT be difficult to Stay Grounded in Dubai
1. The high salaries and luxurious lifestyle can make it easy to get caught up in the materialism of Dubai.
2. It can be difficult to relate to other people if you become too arrogant or think that you’re better than them.
3. You might lose sight of what’s essential in life if you go overboard with the luxury and excess in Dubai.
4. It can be difficult to stay humble when you’ve achieved job success in Dubai.
5. There is an unwritten culture of bragging and it doesn’t help that social media makes it so easy to post ‘beautiful’, ‘amazing’, or ‘cool’ stuff we acquire.
Tips for Staying Grounded in Dubai
1. Try to remember your humble beginnings and how you felt when you first arrived in Dubai.
2. Listen to other people’s stories. It can be a colleague at work, people in your neighborhood, or even the taxi driver on your way to work. There are so many lessons you can pick up from the stories of others.
3. Maintain a balance in your life by enjoying the luxury and excess of Dubai, but also remembering what matters most to you.
4. Accept the reality that there will always be someone better than you. So it’s good to learn what you can with the people around you. Be mindful of the culture of bragging and try not to compare yourself to others, nor should you put other people down if you’ve made it.
5. Take some time for yourself – disconnect from work and enjoy your life outside of your job.
Reasons Why We Should Always Stay Grounded
1. There’s always room for improvement. – No matter how successful you become, there’s always room for improvement. You can never rest on your laurels and expect to maintain your success. You have to continually work hard and strive to be better.
2. The competition is stiff. – In Dubai, the competition is stiff. If you’re not constantly working to improve your skills and stay ahead of the curve, you’ll quickly fall behind. There are always others who are willing and able to take your place at the top.
3. Change is constant. – Change is a constant in Dubai. What works today might not work tomorrow. You have to be flexible and adaptable to change in order to maintain your success.
4. You can try to give back. – Finally, remember that success is not just about you. It’s also about giving back to the community. When you reach job success in Dubai, you have a responsibility to help others who are working hard to achieve their goals.
5. Kindness is a virtue. – being kind is a virtue. You should always try to see the best in others and build them up. It’s what feeds our soul and helps us avoid becoming empty inside.
Many people come to Dubai and completely change who they are especially when they get rich and successful. They become arrogant, rude, and think they are better than others because they have money. This is not the way to live a happy and fulfilling life.
Yes, Dubai is an amazing place with endless opportunities. But it can also be a place that makes you lose sight of your goals if you’re not careful.
Remember to stay grounded, be humble, and appreciate all the good things you have in your life. Don’t take anything for granted and always try to be the best person you can be.
Note: This article is also a reminder to myself to keep myself level-headed and to stay humble no matter how much success I may achieve in my career.