Home Tips How to Apply for 1-year Visa Extension for Widows, Divorced Women

How to Apply for 1-year Visa Extension for Widows, Divorced Women

As part of the latest changes in the UAE visa systemwidows and divorced women can now extend their visas for a full year without a sponsor, Khaleej Times reported.

Officials from the General Directorate of Residency & Foreign Affairs (GDRFA) recently announced that widows and divorced women can have their visas processed at their centre in Dubai Festival City (DFC), where they can expect to have some privacy when they apply.

How to Apply for 1-year Visa Extension for Widows, Divorced Women 2

Widows & Divorced Women Can Extend Visas w/o a Sponsor

According to the Director of Entry Permits at GDRFA, Lieutenant-Colonel Jasem Ali Ahli, they have assigned 12 female employees at their DFC centre to handle visa applications of widows and divorced women. He explained that such cases are sensitive; hence, there is a private office in the centre where applicants can discuss their situation.

As per the new visa rules, Ahli stated that if the applicant does not have a male sponsor in the UAE, she can sponsor herself and her children for one year. To acquire the visa extension, however, there are certain conditions and requirements that must be met.

How to Apply for 1-year Visa Extension for Widows, Divorced Women 1

Requirements & Conditions for Visa Extension
When applying for a visa extension, the applicant and her children must be under the husband’s visa at the time of death or divorce, and their visas should not have expired yet at the time. Moreover, the applicant should also prepare the following:

  • Official divorce or death certificate
  • Proof that she can provide for the family
  • Emirates ID, medical fitness certificate of mother and children over 18 years
  • Tenancy contract in the name of the applicant
  • AED 100 fee for the one-year residence visa
  • AED 100 fee for cancellation of the old visa

Upon gathering all the requirements, the applicant can go to the GDRFA centre at DFC. After 48 hours of processing, she and her children would be granted a visa extension. When the one-year visa expires, they wouldn’t need to pay any extra money upon leaving the UAE.

DISCLAIMER: The details presented above are for information-sharing purposes only. To learn more about the one-year visa extension for widows and divorced women, you may call 047074255 or visit the GDRFA official website

ALSO READ: UAE to Grant 10-Year Visas to Investors, Professionals, & Top Students

We're on YouTube!
Please subscribe to the Dubai OFW YouTube Channel for updates and tips!

Get FREE Dubai Updates by entering your email address:

Don't forget to check your email to activate your subscription!

Cost of Living and Monthly Expenses in Dubai: An Honest and Practical Guide

How much does it cost to live in Dubai? Is it really expensive? How much salary should I expect so I can live comfortably...

How to Update Your PhilHealth Membership Data Record (MDR) Online

PhilHealth is a health insurance program mandated by the government of the Philippines. Formally known as the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation, it was established...

UAE President Approves Law on Domestic Workers: 12-Hours Daily Rest, 30 Days Leave, Weekly Off

The President of the UAE, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, has recently approved Federal Law No. 10 of 2017. This 41-article...

How to Sponsor Parents in Dubai (Residence Visa for Mother/Father) in UAE

Expats who are thinking of bringing their mother or father in Dubai, here’s a guide to getting a UAE residence visa for your parents....

List of Banned Medicines in the UAE

Travel Advisory - People who travel to the UAE for tourism or for business, it is important that you are aware of medicines that...