As a foreign worker in Dubai, you never know when you might encounter a medical emergency. Private health care costs can be quite expensive; hence, having health insurance is essential, especially if your spouse and children are also residing here in the UAE.
ALSO READ: Low-Cost Insurance for Employees
If you’re a private employee, your employer should have provided you with health insurance as part of your contract. Still, if you are looking for greater coverage for you and your family, consider getting health insurance from a government-approved insurance company.
Guide to Getting Health Insurance in Dubai
On January 1, 2014, the Dubai Health Insurance Law No. 13 of 2013 came into effect. The law makes it mandatory for Dubai companies to cover their employees with private health insurance. Health insurance packages usually cover emergency care, access to general practitioners (GPs), medical tests, surgical procedures, and maternity care for women.
Some companies provide family insurance to their employees, although some provide coverage for the employee only. If you would like to get insurance for your family here in Dubai, then take note of the following prerequisites, required documents, and procedure.
- Applicant must have a residence visa
- Insurance company must be government-approved
- Passport with residence visa (original and copy)
- Passport-sized photos (two copies)
- Proof of address
- Proof of marriage (for spousal visas)
- Proof of enrollment (for child dependents)
- Family doctor’s contact details (in case insurer asks about medical history)
- Contact an insurer for a health insurance quote. You can also do this online by visiting insureme.ae or uae-medical-insurance.com.
- Fill up an application form and submit it along with the required documents.
- Pay the fees, usually via cheque. In most cases, you may need to pay for a full year’s coverage upfront.
ALSO READ: Mental Health to be Covered by Mandatory Health Insurance in Dubai
DISCLAIMER: The above guide is presented for information-sharing purposes only. To know more about getting health insurance in Dubai, please visit the Dubai Government Portal.