The novel coronavirus finally has a proper name. It’s called COVID-19. The official name of this new coronavirus (temporarily called 2019-nCoV) was declared in an announcement made by the World Health Organization.
CO – corona
VI – virus
D – disease
The CO stands for corona, the VI for virus and the D for disease, says Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the Director General of WHO. This was announced on a Tuesday (11 February 2020) at a news conference at WHO’s headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
Below is a statement from the World Health Organization, announcing the name for the #2019nCoV disease.
🚨 BREAKING 🚨
“We now have a name for the #2019nCoV disease:
I’ll spell it: C-O-V-I-D hyphen one nine – COVID-19″
— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) February 11, 2020
World Health Org Officially Names New Coronavirus as “COVID-19”
The officials of the World Health Organization chose officials chose a name that does not refer to a geographical location, animals, an individual or a group of people.
Dr. Tedros also mentioned that having a proper name is important to prevent the other names that might be inaccurate or stigmatizing.
An example was a confusion when Philippine Labor Secretary confused the cause of death of a Filipino maid in Dubai. The cause of the death of the Filipino was due to pneumonia, not the novel coronavirus.
Dr. Tedros also Tweeted that it could take about 18 months for a vaccine to be ready.
“Researchers from around the world are meeting at @WHO for a research & innovation forum on #COVID19. The first vaccine could be ready in 18 months, In the meantime, there’s a lot we can do to prevent transmission and prepare for any further spread.” he Tweeted.
Researchers from around the world are meeting at @WHO for a research & innovation forum on #COVID19. The first vaccine could be ready in 18 months, In the meantime, there’s a lot we can do to prevent transmission and prepare for any further spread.https://t.co/7uXYj2KxF3
— Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (@DrTedros) February 11, 2020
Updates about COVID-19 in the UAE:
- UAE Confirms First Case of New Coronavirus
- UAE Warns against Rumours about Coronavirus in the UAE
- 4 members of Chinese family infected with new coronavirus in UAE
- UAE Ministry of Health & Prevention: “General Health Situation is not a Cause of Concern”
- 2019-nCoV Coronavirus Declared as a Global Health Emergency
- UAE Announces 5th Case of Coronavirus Infection
- PLEASE READ: UAE Health Ministry Guidelines on Coronavirus 2019-nCoV
- Burj Khalifa Lights up and Shows Support for Wuhan China
- UAE Suspends Flights to China (Except Beijing)
- 2 New Cases of Coronavirus Announced in UAE
- Philippine Embassy in UAE to Assist UAE Authorities with Filipino Infected with Coronavirus
- UAE’s First Case of 2019-nCoV Coronavirus Recovers
- 8th Case of New Coronavirus Confirmed in UAE
- UAE Coronavirus Cases to be Treated FREE of Cost Even Without Insurance
- COVID-19 is the official name of the new coronavirus – WHO