Before you look for a job in the UAE, it’s important to know what you need to live and work legally in the country. One of these requirements is the UAE residence visa, of which there are two types: for residence only, or for employment. This article focuses on the latter.
The residence visa for employment purposes is valid for two years, or three years in the case of government jobs or some free zones. It enables you to reside anywhere in the UAE; in fact, you can live in one emirate (e.g. Sharjah) while working in another emirate (e.g. Dubai).
Guide to Applying for a Residence Visa (Employment)
First of all, the residence visa application is handled by the employer as the sponsoring company. The process involves going to the Ministry of Human Resources & Emiratisation (MoHRE) and the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA).
Aside from the residence visa, the employer is also involved in applying for the employee’s work permit, medical exam, and Emirates ID, among others. In any case, here are the prerequisites, requirements, and procedure for getting a UAE residence visa for employment.
The applicant should:
- Be below 65 years of age
- Have a passport valid for at least 6 months
- Have a job offer or is currently employed
- Have an entry permit arranged by employer
- Have completed and passed a medical exam
- Have an ongoing Emirates ID application
- Passport (original)
- Passport-sized photos (5 copies)
- Entry permit
- Medical test certificate
- Education certificate (attested)
- AED 310 fee (plus other typing fees)
- Company’s establishment immigration card and trade
- Resident ID application form certified by Registration Centre at Emirates Identity Authority (EIDA)
The employer’s public relations officer (PRO) goes to the nearest GDRFA office and handles all the paperwork, so the applicant (employee) does not need to go there physically.
ALSO READ: How to Choose the Right Kind of UAE Visa
DISCLAIMER: The above details are presented for information-sharing purposes only. To learn more about applying for a residence visa for employment, please visit the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) official website or the UAE Government Portal.