Have you wondered how it feels like to look for jobs in Dubai? No, not send emails to company websites; the actual walk-in type job hunting where you get to walk around and drop off CVs to companies and their HR offices.
As you can imagine, this kind of job finding experience can be quite a challenge and adventure. It is, however, the reality that many Filipinos face once they get to the UAE. Aside from sending CVs online, they also spend their days applying in person.
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences shared by the OFW in the video below. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their videos on their accounts.
How OFWs Send Resumes to Companies in Dubai
This video shares the experience of a Filipino applying for jobs in Dubai through the YouTube channel DZEY. He emphasized how challenging it is to walk around and submit CVs, hoping that at least one of these companies will call him soon for a job interview.
The go-to destination for the job seekers in the video is Business Bay. It is the central business district of Dubai featuring skyscrapers and more than 240 buildings overall.
Business bay includes some of the tallest hotels in the world (e.g. JW Marriott Marquis Dubai), residence towers, business avenues, and several low rise buildings.
Our Filipino job hunters in the video rode a train from their residence and brought CVs to submit to several companies at the Business Bay.
Sending CVs at the Business Bay
From DZEYs experiences shared in the video, we can learn the following tips for going out and sending CVs to various companies at the business bay:
- Dress comfortably – if you are applying during the Summer months, you don’t have to wear formal attire when going out to send CVs. In DZEY’s example, he just wore a polo shirt.
- Bring a big bottle of water – A common theme for these tips is that it’s really hot outside. It’s much hotter than what we’re used to in the Philippines, so stay hydrated.
- Bring an umbrella or wear a cap – Again, temperatures during the summer in Dubai can drain your energy, and there’s a considerable distance walking from one building to another. So keep yourself protected from the heat.
- Wear shades – This one is pretty common for people walking outdoors in Dubai.
- Bring lots of copies of CVs – DZEY printed out and brought 20 CVs along with him to Business Bay. You want to apply to as many companies as possible.
Handing out CVs to Concierges
The first thing you do when entering the building is approach the concierge and inquire about handing CVs.
In DZEY’s video, the first building he went to has a kabayan concierge, which is a great thing because you can talk to the concierge properly and make inquiries in Filipino.
In that building, the receptionist only took one CV because he said it would only go to waste if they took more.
Here are some possible scenarios when you submit CVs at the concierge of buildings:
- You can just place your CV at a file on the concierge desk.
- You will meet a kabayan who will give you emails and other contact details to the hiring businesses in the building.
- You will be directed to the upper floors where you can visit offices and submit your CVs there.
According to the one of the receptionists featured in this video, she got the job after one month of waiting for calls, receiving calls, attending interviews, and eventually landing a job.
While not featured in the video, future videos in DZEY’s channel reveal that he eventually landed a job in Dubai. The moral lesson here is that while it is challenging, you shouldn’t give up. Eventually, some company will call you and you will finally be working in the Gulf Tiger.