Here’s some great news for residents and frequent travelers to Ras Al Khaimah, one of the UAE’s picturesque and thriving emirates. Introducing the Ras Al Khaimah Public Bus Cards—E-Saqr, an innovative and convenient way to commute around the city with ease and efficiency.
The E-Saqr bus card system has been specially designed to simplify your daily travels, making it more accessible and affordable for everyone. Whether you’re a student, a professional, or simply exploring the beauty of Ras Al Khaimah, this smart card is your ticket to seamless public transportation.
- Benefits of Using the E-Saqr Card
- 3 Types of E-Saqr Cards
- How to Use Your E-Saqr Card
- Refilling Your Card
- Purchasing your E-Saqr Card
- How to Book Intercity Bus Tickets from Ras Al Khaimah
- Ras Al Khaimah Bus Stations
- Bus Fare and Pricing
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What is an E-Saqr Card?
- 2. How do I get an E-Saqr Card?
- 3. How much does an E-Saqr Card cost?
- 4. How can I recharge my E-Saqr Card?
- 5. Where can I use the E-Saqr Card?
- 6. Are there any benefits of using the E-Saqr Card?
- 7. Can the E-Saqr Card be used by specific groups?
- 8. Is the E-Saqr Card environmentally friendly?
RAKTA (Ras Al Khaimah Transport Authority) has made significant efforts to introduce smart transportation solutions that align with its strategic goals, aiming to promote mass transit and seamless integration among various transportation systems.
Their focus is on enhancing the overall customer experience within the public transportation system and offering flexible payment options through the activation of an electronic fare collection system for buses.
In line with these endeavors, RAKTA has introduced the Electronic Saqr card, intended for use by public transport users in Ras Al Khaimah.
This card allows passengers to pay for their trips using the cash value stored in the card’s electronic wallet.
The E-Saqr card comes in three categories: the blue card, available to all users and categories; the golden card, designed for people of determination; and the silver card, catering to university and school students, as well as senior citizens and residents.
To obtain the E-Saqr card for the first time, individuals need to pay a fee of 30 dirhams, which includes an initial balance of 20 dirhams in the electronic wallet.
For convenience, the cards can be refilled at designated sales outlets at the main bus station in the southern Al Dhait area, and they can also be purchased directly from buses.
This initiative aims to enhance travel convenience, reduce reliance on paper tickets, and foster a more environmentally friendly approach to public transportation in Ras Al Khaimah.
Benefits of Using the E-Saqr Card
- Easy Boarding and Alighting: With the E-Saqr Card in hand, boarding and alighting from buses become incredibly easy and convenient. No more fumbling for cash or paper tickets—simply tap your card on the designated reader when you board the bus, and you’re good to go. This streamlined process saves time for both passengers and drivers, ensuring a more efficient and hassle-free journey.
- Faster Fare Payment Process: The E-Saqr Card’s electronic payment system significantly reduces the time taken for fare payment. Instead of dealing with cash, you can swiftly pay for your bus ride by using the card’s electronic wallet. This not only speeds up the boarding process but also reduces queues and waiting times at bus stations.
- Improved Planning and Development: The introduction of the electronic toll collection system, facilitated by the E-Saqr Card, provides valuable data for RAKTA to plan and develop the public transport system more effectively. The system captures valuable information on passenger numbers, popular routes, and peak travel times. This data-driven approach helps in optimizing bus schedules, ensuring better connectivity, and enhancing the overall quality of public transportation in Ras Al Khaimah.
- Environmental Sustainability: By promoting the use of the E-Saqr Card, RAKTA is actively contributing to environmental sustainability. The reduction of paper tickets and cash transactions minimizes paper waste and the need for physical resources. Choosing a more eco-friendly option like the E-Saqr Card aligns with the UAE’s commitment to environmental conservation.
- Versatility and Accessibility: The E-Saqr Card comes in three categories—blue, golden, and silver—tailored to different user groups. This ensures that the benefits of the card are accessible to a wide range of individuals, including people of determination, students, senior citizens, and residents. The versatility of the card makes it a valuable transportation tool for various segments of the population.
3 Types of E-Saqr Cards
- BLUE CARD – FOR ALL CATEGORIES
- The blue card is a versatile option suitable for all users and categories.
- To get your blue card, simply pay Dh30, and you’ll receive a starting balance of Dh20 in the electronic wallet associated with the card.
- SILVER CARD – FOR UNIVERSITY AND SCHOOL STUDENTS, SENIOR CITIZENS, AND RESIDENTS OVER THE AGE OF 60
- The silver card is specifically designed for university and school students, senior citizens, and residents aged 60 and above. The cost of the silver card is Dh20, and you’ll receive an initial balance of Dh10.
- As a student, you can enjoy a fantastic 50% discount on bus fares, making your travel even more budget-friendly. However, to avail of the student discount, you’ll need to provide a letter of enrollment from your university or school.
- GOLD CARD – FOR PEOPLE OF DETERMINATION
- The Gold Card is a special offering for People of Determination, and the best part is that it’s completely free of cost.
- However, you will need to pay for your bus trips using the card.
How to Use Your E-Saqr Card
Using the E-Saqr card is simple and hassle-free.
- When you board the bus, scan your card on the payment machines provided inside the bus.
- This will deduct the fare for your trip from the balance on your card.
- When it’s time to disembark, scan your card again to complete the payment process.
Refilling Your Card
To ensure uninterrupted travel, it’s essential to maintain a sufficient balance on your card.
- You can conveniently refill your card at the main bus station located in the southern Al Dhait area.
- Additionally, you can also purchase the card directly from the buses.
Purchasing your E-Saqr Card
Step 1: Locate the Sales Points
- The primary location to buy the E-Saqr card is at the Al Hamra Bus Station, which serves as the main bus station in the Al Dhait area.
- Here, you can find all three categories of cards, namely the blue card (general category), the golden card (for people of determination), and the silver card (for students, senior citizens, and residents).
Step 2: Purchasing the E-Saqr Card
- If you’re interested in the blue card, you have the option of buying it directly from the bus driver when you board a public bus.
- This provides added convenience for those who might not have access to the Al Hamra Bus Station.
- However, please note that the gold and silver cards are exclusively available for purchase at the Al Hamra Bus Station.
Step 3: Choose the Appropriate Card
- Select the E-Saqr card that best suits your category and needs.
- The blue card is open to all users, while the golden card is intended for people of determination, and the silver card is dedicated to students, senior citizens, and residents.
Step 4: Payment and Initial Balance
To obtain the E-Saqr card, you will need to pay a fee of 30 dirhams, and the card will come preloaded with an initial balance of 20 dirhams in the electronic wallet.
Step 5: Topping Up Your E-Saqr Card
- Once you have your E-Saqr card, you can easily top it up to ensure you always have sufficient balance for your travels.
- Head to the payment counter at the Al Hamra Bus Station, where you can conveniently add credit to your card.
- This process is quick and straightforward, enabling you to reload your card hassle-free.
Step 6: Enjoy Convenient Travel
- Now that your E-Saqr card is loaded and ready to use, you can embark on your public transportation journeys with ease.
- Simply tap your card on the designated card reader when boarding a bus, and the fare will be deducted automatically from your card’s balance.
- No more worrying about carrying exact change or purchasing paper tickets!
How to Book Intercity Bus Tickets from Ras Al Khaimah
- Access the RAKTA Website: Start by visiting the official RAKTA website. Once the website loads, navigate to the top menu and click on the ‘services’ option.
- Select Public Transport: From the services menu, locate and select the ‘public transport’ section.
- Choose Intercity Bus: Within the public transport section, look for the ‘intercity bus’ option, and click on it.
- Explore Available Options: The website will now display all the available intercity travel options. You can browse through the various routes and schedules to find the one that suits your travel needs.
- Book Your Ticket: Once you’ve chosen your preferred route and departure time, proceed to book your ticket. The website will guide you through the booking process, allowing you to select the number of tickets needed for your journey.
- Make Payment: Complete the payment process using a debit or credit card. Ensure that you enter your payment details accurately to avoid any issues.
- Receive E-Receipt: After successfully completing the payment, you will receive an electronic receipt (e-receipt) via email or a notification on the website. This e-receipt serves as proof of payment for your intercity bus ticket.
Ras Al Khaimah Bus Stations
With your E-Saqr card, you can conveniently travel to various destinations across the emirate using the efficient public transportation system. Here are the addresses and nearby landmarks for each bus station where you can use your E-Saqr card:
1. RAK Bus Station, Al Dhait:
- Address: RAK Bus Station, Al Dhait, Ras Al Khaimah
- Nearby Landmarks: This bus station is located in the Al Dhait area. Nearby landmarks include Al Dhait South Police Station and Al Dhait Central School.
2. Al Nakheel Bus Stop
- Address: Al Nakheel Bus Stop, Ras Al Khaimah
- Nearby Landmarks: This bus stop is situated in the Al Nakheel district. Nearby landmarks include Al Nakheel Mall and RAK Hospital.
3. 72 Al Thaqafah Street Bus Station
- Address: 72 Al Thaqafah Street Bus Station, Ras Al Khaimah
- Nearby Landmarks: This bus station is located along Al Thaqafah Street. Nearby landmarks include RAK Mall and RAK Bank Headquarters.
4. Al Hamra Bus Station
- Address: Al Hamra Bus Station, Ras Al Khaimah
- Nearby Landmarks: This bus station is situated in Al Hamra Village. Nearby landmarks include Al Hamra Mall and Al Hamra Golf Club.
5. UAE University Bus Station, Dafan Al Khor
- Address: UAE University Bus Station, Dafan Al Khor, Ras Al Khaimah
- Nearby Landmarks: This bus station is close to UAE University’s Ras Al Khaimah campus. Nearby landmarks include Dafan Al Khor Park and Al Qasimi Corniche.
Bus Fare and Pricing
- Affordable Fares: One of the key advantages of using the E-Saqr card is the affordability of bus fares. The average fare for a single bus journey ranges from AED 5 to AED 10. The exact fare may vary depending on the specific route you are taking.
- Route-Based Pricing: Bus fares are determined based on the distance and route you travel. Different routes may have slightly different fares to reflect the varying travel distances. However, rest assured that the E-Saqr card ensures you get the most cost-effective fare for your journey.
- Similar to Masaar Card: The E-Saqr card’s fare structure is akin to the Masaar Card, which is authorized by the RTA (Roads and Transport Authority). This means that the fare pricing is aligned with other reputable transportation systems in the UAE, providing consistency and transparency for passengers.
- Rechargeable Balance: The E-Saqr card comes with a convenient electronic wallet that holds the card’s balance. You can top up the card’s balance at designated sales outlets or directly on the buses. This allows you to manage your expenses effectively and ensures you have sufficient funds for your daily travels.
- Special Categories: As mentioned before, the E-Saqr card offers different categories, such as the golden card for people of determination and the silver card for university and school students, senior citizens, and residents. These categories may have specific fare concessions, making public transportation even more accessible to diverse groups of travelers.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an E-Saqr Card?
The E-Saqr Card is a smart card introduced by RAKTA (Ras Al Khaimah Transport Authority) for use in the public bus transportation system in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE. It offers a contactless and convenient way to pay for bus fares using an electronic wallet.
2. How do I get an E-Saqr Card?
You can obtain an E-Saqr Card by purchasing it from designated sales outlets or directly from buses. The card comes in three categories: blue for all users, golden for people of determination, and silver for students, senior citizens, and residents.
3. How much does an E-Saqr Card cost?
The cost of purchasing an E-Saqr Card for the first time is typically 30 dirhams, and it includes an initial balance of 20 dirhams in the electronic wallet.
4. How can I recharge my E-Saqr Card?
You can recharge your E-Saqr Card by visiting designated sales outlets or directly on the buses. Simply load the desired amount into the card’s electronic wallet to have sufficient funds for your bus journeys.
5. Where can I use the E-Saqr Card?
The E-Saqr Card can be used in any of the various bus stations within Ras Al Khaimah. Some of the key bus stations include RAK Bus Station, Al Nakheel Bus Stop, 72 Al Thaqafah Street Bus Station, Al Hamra Bus Station, and UAE University Bus Station, Dafan Al Khor.
6. Are there any benefits of using the E-Saqr Card?
Absolutely! The E-Saqr Card offers numerous benefits, including easy boarding and alighting from buses, faster fare payment processes, and contribution to the planning and development of the public transport system in Ras Al Khaimah.
7. Can the E-Saqr Card be used by specific groups?
Yes, the E-Saqr Card has three categories to cater to specific groups. The golden card is for people of determination, the silver card is for students, senior citizens, and residents, and the blue card is for all users and categories.
8. Is the E-Saqr Card environmentally friendly?
Yes, the E-Saqr Card promotes environmental sustainability by reducing paper waste and minimizing the need for cash transactions, making it an eco-friendly choice for public transportation in Ras Al Khaimah.
In conclusion, the Ras Al Khaimah Public Bus Cards—E-Saqr ushers in a new era of convenience and efficiency for residents and frequent travelers in Ras Al Khaimah.
This innovative smart card system has been thoughtfully crafted to streamline daily travels, ensuring accessibility and affordability for all.
Whether you’re a student commuting to school, a professional heading to work, or a curious explorer discovering the beauty of Ras Al Khaimah, the E-Saqr card is your gateway to seamless public transportation.
By replacing the need for paper tickets and cash transactions, the E-Saqr card simplifies the boarding process, reducing wait times, and enhancing the overall travel experience.
With the tap of your card, you can effortlessly navigate through the picturesque landscapes and thriving cityscape of Ras Al Khaimah.
Embrace the benefits of the E-Saqr card, from its contactless payment system to its contribution to environmental sustainability by reducing paper waste.
Whether you’re a local resident or a visitor, this smart card paves the way for smoother journeys and greater convenience.
Hop on board with the Ras Al Khaimah Public Bus Cards—E-Saqr and embark on a journey filled with ease, accessibility, and enjoyment as you explore the wonders of this captivating emirate.
READ NEXT: Places to Visit in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE