The Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) has announced that the roads and bridges extending 22 kilometres towards the Expo 2020 site have been opened to traffic on Saturday (August 31).
Among the finished works include the intersections of the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street with both Expo and Al Yalayes Streets; two flyovers on the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street at the Dubai Investment Park; and widening Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street from two to five lanes in each direction.
New Enhanced Roads and Bridges Opened in Dubai
Following these improvements, Dubai’s road network has been upgraded by 17km of roads and 5km of bridges at a cost of Dh1.3 billion.
According to Mattar Al Tayer, director-general and chairman of the board of executive directors of the RTA, “Due to the immense nature of the roads leading to Expo 2020 project, it had been divided into six phases to ensure the delivery of all works well before the opening of Expo.”
— Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) August 31, 2019
The opening of phases 3 and 4 of the RTA’s road project, has paved way for the following developments:
- Roads and bridges extending 6.5 km and 3 km, respectively.
- A flyover at the intersection of the Expo Road and the Sheikh Zayed bin Ham Al Nahyan Street, which increases the capacity of the Expo Road from 2,000 vehicles per hour to 4,500 vehicles per hour.
- The elevation of the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street through the construction of five bridges and four turns.
- Ramps for the smooth flow of traffic from the Expo Road northward to the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street in the direction of Dubai-Al Ain Road.
- Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street in the direction of Al Maktoum International Airport has been improved through the construction of a new 5-lane street in both directions. The street extends 2km from the intersection of the Expo Road with the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street in the direction of Al Maktoum International Airport.
- Roads and bridges extending 10.3 km and 2 km, respectively.
- The development in this phase aims to streamline the traffic flow between the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan and Al Yalayes Streets
- There’s also a signal junction on Al Yalayes Street that has been converted into a flyover, which increases the street capacity from 3,000 vehicles per hour to 10,000 thus ensuring better traffic flow to Expo and JAFZA in the direction of Emirates Road via Al Yalayes Street.
- Widening of Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street to five lanes in either direction over a 4.6-km stretch.
- A flyover constructed along the intersection of the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street via Al Yalayes Street.
- Four bridges and elevation of the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street to facilitate smooth traffic from the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street westwards to Al Yalayes Street in the direction of the Sheikh Zayed Road; and from the Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Street to Al Yalayes Street towards the south in the direction of the Emirates Road.
- New junctions and two bridges to enhance the traffic towards Dubai Investment Park complex.
These upgrades come in a timely manner towards the run-up for the upcoming Expo 2020 Dubai, which will see hundreds and thousands of guests from all over the world. Accessibility and ease of transactions are among the priorities addressed by the government to provide an experience like no other for guests expected to arrive in the country in the next few months.