Have you ever tried to find out which courses and majors are most in-demand in the UAE? Well, look no further because the Ministry of Education has just revealed the results of a study that aims to help students who are seeking to pursue higher education in the country.
ALSO READ: List of Philippine Schools in the UAE
The “Majors in Demand” Study for 2018 surveyed over 13,000 students graduating from public as well as private educational institutions in the UAE. Covering more than 80 percent of academic institutions across the country, the study reveals some very interesting results!
Ministry of Education Reveals “Majors in Demand” Survey Findings
According to a Ministry of Education press release, the study sought to determine which courses and majors students decided to pursue. At the same time, it tried to measure the demand and speed of employment for each field. The survey covered several specializations: agriculture, arts and humanities, business administration, education, engineering, environmental and health sciences, law, medical sciences, and information technology.
Most “In Demand” Majors
In terms of demand, the survey revealed that:
- The most in-demand specialization is engineering, followed by business administration, medical sciences, and information technology.
- For engineering majors, the most in-demand is civil engineering, followed by mechanical engineering and petroleum engineering.
- For business administration majors, the most in-demand is marketing, followed by finance, accounting, and quality management.
- For medical sciences majors, the most in-demand is medicine and surgery.
- For information technology majors, the most in-demand is information security, followed by networking and information systems.
- For education majors, the most in-demand is early childhood education, followed by special education and English language teaching.
Fastest Majors to Find Employment
In terms of speed of employment, the study found out that:
- Education majors were the fastest to find employment, followed by business administration, information technology, and engineering.
- For education majors, science teaching ranked the fastest to find jobs, followed by early childhood education and English language teaching.
- For business administration majors, accounting ranked the fastest to find employment, followed by international business management, then banking and finance.
- For information technology majors, information systems was the fastest to find jobs, followed by networking and information security.
- For engineering majors, computer engineering was the fastest to find employment, followed by chemical engineering and architectural engineering.
Notably, the study also highlighted the importance of pursuing specialized majors instead of general ones. For instance, accounting is more in-demand than general business administration. Likewise, early childhood education is more in-demand than general education.
The study is definitely useful to students who have yet to decide on their college or university majors. By being aware of the most in-demand specializations, they can choose carefully the career path that they aspire to pursue in the future, whether in the UAE or elsewhere.