Noticed any changes at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) lately? Well, you’re not the only one! The airport has just been recognized as one of the most improved airports in the world this 2018, based on a global survey by Skytrax, a research firm.
According to the survey, NAIA ranked 10th in the “World’s Most Improved Airports” category. The world’s most improved airport is Rome Fiumicino. Meanwhile, the Singapore Changi Airport was hailed as the “World’s Best Airport” for the 6th consecutive year!
NAIA Ranked 10th in World’s Most Improved Airports
Skytrax conducted the survey from August 2017 to February 2018, gathering 13.73 million questionnaires from over 100 nationalities worldwide. The study looked into the performance of more than 550 airports based on check-ins, arrivals, immigration, security, and other factors.
The General Manager of the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA), Ed Monreal, considers the recognition as a challenge to keep on improving the airport. “We are only as good as our last accomplishment,” he stated. “The bigger challenge now is how to sustain it.”
Fortunately, proposals to rehabilitate NAIA have been pouring in. Last month, a consortium of 7 companies — Aboitiz Equity Ventures Inc., Metro Pacific Investments Corp., Alliance Global Group Inc., LT Group Inc., Ayala Corp., JG Summit Holdings Inc., and Filinvest Development Corp. — submitted a PHP 350 billion-proposal to rehabilitate the airport.
Similarly, Megawide Construction Corp. and Bangalore-based GMR Infrastructure Ltd. have submitted a joint proposal to rehabilitate NAIA, with a price of USD 3 billion.
World’s Most Improved Airports
Based on the Skytrax website, the world’s most improved airports are:
- Rome Fiumicino
- Taiwan Taoyuan
- Moscow Sheremetyevo
- Houston Intercontinental
World’s Top 10 Airports
Skytrax also named the best airports in the world, as follows:
- Singapore Changi
- Tokyo Haneda
- Hong Kong
- Doha Hamad
- Centrair Nagoya
- London Heathrow
Other Notable Awards
- World’s Best Airport Baggage Delivery — Kansai
- World’s Best Airport for Dining — Hong Kong
- World’s Best Airport Hotel — Crowne Plaza Changi
- World’s Best Airport Immigration — Taiwan Taoyuan
- World’s Best Airport Leisure Amenities — Singapore Changi
- World’s Best Airport Security Processing — Tokyo Narita
- World’s Best Airport Shopping — London Heathrow
- World’s Best Airport Staff Service — Incheon
- World’s Best Airport Terminal — London Heathrow T2
- World’s Best Domestic Airport — Tokyo Haneda
- World’s Best Low-Cost Airline Terminal — Kansai T2
- World’s Best Regional Airport — Centrair Nagoya
- World’s Best Transit Airport — Hong Kong
- World’s Cleanest Airport — Tokyo Haneda
Congratulations, MIAA, for the job well done! Meanwhile, the Dubai International Airport (DXB) also made it to the list, ranking 7th in both the World’s Best Airport Shopping and World’s Best Airport Terminals category. Speaking of DXB, take note that one of it’s runways will be closed next year for 45 days, due to maintenance and upgrade purposes.