We have previously shared some practical tips to save money as an expat in Dubai, though it’s always a good idea to keep on learning about financial management. Fortunately, there’s going to be a series of free seminars on financial literacy, specifically for Filipinos in Dubai!
ALSO READ: 5 Money Mistakes OFWs Should Avoid
Last month, the Philippine Consulate General (PCG) in Dubai announced the third edition of its Financial Literacy (FinLit) programme, a year-long series that aims to teach and empower Filipinos in terms of managing their finances and becoming successful entrepreneurs.
Filipinos in Dubai Invited to Join “FinLit” Seminars
This August, the FinLit programme shall begin with a seminar on saving, budgeting, and debt management, Gulf News reported. Consul-General Paul Raymund Cortes said that FinLit is in line with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s call to provide avenues for inclusive growth.
According to Cortes, they aim to institutionalise the programme so that it can be implemented by future heads of missions. He also urged OFWs to learn the basics of personal finance (i.e. saving, budgeting, and debt elimination) before venturing into business and investment.
Meanwhile, Vice Consul Elizabeth Picar Ramos stated that their aim is to make Pinoys better equipped to select great business ventures and ensure their sustainability. She also mentioned that Philippine business leaders, experts, and officials will be tapped for the FinLit seminars.
For her part, Labour Attache Felicitas Bay shared that in these seminars, students will learn how to conduct feasibility studies and draft business plans, which can be submitted to government agencies that could help facilitate business loans (between PHP 100,000 and PHP 1 million) from the Land Bank of the Philippines (LBP).
Fast Facts About the FinLit Programme
The FinLit Programme will be held at PCG Dubai from August 2019 to May 2020, on Fridays (exact dates will be announced on the Consulate’s website and social media). Admission is free to all Filipinos, although pre-registration will be required.
The programme topics and schedule shall be as follows:
- August 23, 2019 – Saving, Budgeting, & Debt Management by PCG Dubai
- August 2019 – Insurance & Investment (SSS, Pag-IBIG, etc.) by PCG Dubai
- September 2019 – Basic Exporting of Lifestyle Products by the Philippine Trade and Investment Centre (PTIC)
- October 2019 – Franchising 101 by PTIC
- November 2019 – Agri-business (Marine) by the Department of Agriculture (DA)
- January 2020 – Government Reintegration Programme by the Philippine Overseas Labour Office (POLO) and Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)
- February 2020 – Basic Exporting of Food Products by PTIC
- March 2020 – Agri-business (Land) by DA
- April 2020 – Seminar on Innovation and the Philippine Start-up Industry by PTIC
- May 2020 – Basic Exporting of Personal Care Products by PTIC
On Facebook, Consul-General Paul Raymund Cortes invites everyone to attend the first FinLit seminar, which will be held on August 23:
ALSO READ: 8 Tips for Avoiding Debt in the UAE
To all Pinoys in Dubai, let us take advantage of these free seminars, as these will definitely expand our financial knowledge and help equip us for our future businesses and investments. In addition, check out this guide to banking, taxes, wills, and other money matters in the UAE.