Every citizen or resident of the UAE should carry a resident identity card or Emirates ID at all times. And just like any other identification card, it needs to be renewed on or before it expires.
Before your Emirates ID is due to expire, the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship will send you an SMS, requesting you to renew your card. To do this, you will need to go the nearest service centre, submit an application for renewal, and have your biometrics captured, if needed.
Guide to Renewing Your Resident Identity Card (Emirates ID)
If your resident identity card is expiring soon, take time to read the following requirements and procedure.
Gather these documents:
- Original Passport
- Valid or Expired Residence Visa
- Existing or Expired Resident ID
NOTE: If your card is lost or not available, obtain an ID number certificate from a Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship service centre instead.
Here is a step-by-step guide to renewing your resident identity card:
- Go to the nearest Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship service centre.
- Accomplish the relevant application form, submit the required documents, and pay the fees (AED 100 for each residence year, AED 70 typing fee). If you’re in a rush, there’s an option to pay Express Service Fees (AED 150).
- Have your biometrics (i.e. photograph, fingerprints) captured if instructed to do so.
- Wait for an SMS message stating when and where to pick up your new ID. The process usually takes about 48 hours from the time of submitting the application.
- Collect your new Emirates ID from the post office stated in the SMS.
- You can apply to renew your resident identity card at least six months to one month before it expires.
- Once your card expires, be sure to apply for renewal within one month. Otherwise, you will have to pay late penalties (i.e. AED 20 per day).
ALSO READ: Losing an Emirates Residence ID
NOTE: Aside from going to a service centre, you may also try renewing your Emirates ID online.
DISCLAIMER: The above details are presented for information-sharing purposed only. To know more about how to renew your resident identity card or Emirates ID, please visit the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship website or the Official Portal of the UAE Government.