The Dubai Tram is the newest transportation mode offered in the United Arab Emirates. In the efforts of the government of Dubai to develop newer infrastructure, the Dubai Tram is currently on its testing stage to provide another option for residents to efficiently use the public transport for easier access to key locations in the city.
The Dubai Tram is a vehicle on rails that run on tracks placed on streets and separate rights of way. This is a new transport project which is an effort by the Dubai Government to show a modern public transit system to the residents of Dubai. This helps create a newer and more efficient option for commuters especially in densely populated areas such as the jumeirah Beach Residence, Dubai Marina, and business locations in Al Sufouh street.
The Dubai Tram
Dubai Tram Guide: Things to Know
The Dubai Tram starts from Dubai Marina and stops at Al Sufouh. One great thing about the Dubai Tram is that it is powered by electricity which reduces pollution from normal traffic car jams on the streets. It is faster and provides a more eco-friendly option to get around the city. Here are other things to know about this new transport method in the UAE.
- You get access to different malls, hotels, Internet City, Knowledge Village, Media City, etc.
- You can pay for the ride using your Smart (NOL) card, same as in the Dubai Metro and Dubai Buses.
- It is fully air-conditioned.
- Has special features for differently-abled persons. There are spaces designed for passengers with disability and has “Call Buttons” to help add extra time when entering or exiting the Tram.
- Tram runs every 6 minutes
- It offers Automatic screen doors.
- Capacity reaches up to 405 passengers.
- Gold (one car), Silver (4 cars), and Women & Children (2 cars) Classes – the same as the Metro.
- It is equipped with CCTV, Video Boradcasting System and Passenger Information
Total Trip Time is about 42 minutes.
Dubai Tram Map and Stations
Below are the list of tram station stops to get a better understanding of the location points where the vehicle will halt.
- Jumeirah Beach Residence 1
- Jumeirah Beach Residence 2
- Jumeirah Lakes Towers
- Dubai Marina Mall
- Dubai Marina
- Marina Towers
- Mina Seyahi
- Media City
- Palm Jumeirah
- Knowledge Village
- Al Sufouh
The tram is linked to the Metro in Jumeirah Lakes Towers Metro Station and Dubai Marina Metro Station.
tram in DXB
Violations and Fines
It is very important to follow the Tram safety guidelines and rules. Here are the offences and fines for any violations done so make sure to heed the do’s and don’ts.
- Littering on the Tramway Line.
- Crossing the Tramway Line from undesignated areas.
- Entering a Restricted Area
- Interfering with the operation of the Tramway or taking any action that would compromise the safety of the Tram or the infrastructure.
- Crossing a red light at the junction with the Tramway.
- Blocking the Tram in the Tramway without permission.
Testing Period As of time of writing, the Dubai Tram is still on a testing period from January 2014 to November 2014. When it will be open for official use to the public, it will be another event to showcase as Dubai becomes more and more developed.
The Dubai Tram is now open to the public!
For more information about the Dubai Tram, please call the RTA hotline at (800 90 90) or visit the website: www.rta.ae.