The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention has warned residents against the use of N95 face masks as protection against the new coronavirus, COVID-19. Unless you are a worker in the healthcare/medical industry, or you are taking care of someone who is sick, you do not need the N95 mask.
The COVID-19 outbreak has resulted to a global run on sales of face masks which includes the UAE.
The warning was issued in video Tweet from the Ministry of Health and Prevention. Using the N95 face mask may also lead to other problems such as causing pressure on the respiratory system. The tweet also mentions that children are forbidden to use the said mask.
Public Advised Not to Wear N95 Face Masks Amid COVID-19 Spread
“N95 masks are only meant to be used by medical staff working in entities treating coronavirus patients,” according to Dr. Adil Al Sajwani, a medicine specialist and Ministry of Health and Prevention official, in a video on Twitter.
Below is the post announcement by Ministry of Health and Prevention:
تعرفوا معنا على أضرار هذا القناع الذي لا يُنصح أبداً بارتدائه
learn more about the disadvantages of these masks, and why it is not recommended to wear them.#فيروس_كورونا_المستجد #كوفيد19#وزارة_الصحة_ووقاية_المجتمع_الإمارات#coronavirus#covid19#mohap_uae pic.twitter.com/Nzbuv5vGY9
— وزارة الصحة ووقاية المجتمع الإماراتية – MOHAP UAE (@mohapuae) February 29, 2020
So far, there has bee 21 cases of the COVID-19 in the UAE and among these cases, 5 have fully recovered.
Below is an infographic by MOHAP on how to greet people while having respiratory symptoms such as cough and cold.
Updates about COVID-19 in the UAE:
- UAE Confirms First Case of New Coronavirus
- UAE Warns against Rumours about Coronavirus in the UAE
- 4 members of Chinese family infected with new coronavirus in UAE
- UAE Ministry of Health & Prevention: “General Health Situation is not a Cause of Concern”
- 2019-nCoV Coronavirus Declared as a Global Health Emergency
- UAE Announces 5th Case of Coronavirus Infection
- PLEASE READ: UAE Health Ministry Guidelines on Coronavirus 2019-nCoV
- Burj Khalifa Lights up and Shows Support for Wuhan China
- UAE Suspends Flights to China (Except Beijing)
- 2 New Cases of Coronavirus Announced in UAE
- Philippine Embassy in UAE to Assist UAE Authorities with Filipino Infected with Coronavirus
- UAE’s First Case of 2019-nCoV Coronavirus Recovers
- 8th Case of New Coronavirus Confirmed in UAE
- UAE Coronavirus Cases to be Treated FREE of Cost Even Without Insurance
- COVID-19 is the official name of the new coronavirus – WHO
- UAE Announces 9th Coronavirus Case (COVID-19)
- UAE announces two new cases of COVID-19, 1 Filipino and 1 Bangladeshi
- UAE Issues Travel Ban to Iran and Thailand due to COVID-19 Outbreak
- 2 new cases of COVID-19 in UAE, Iranian in ICU and his wife
- UAE Tour Cycling Race Cancelled after 2 Italians found Positive of COVID-19
- Two Hotels in Abu Dhabi Quarantined to Manage Coronavirus Spread